Posted on May 25, 2009 by ivan
Mobile technology is one of the fastest growing areas of digital technology. And developing applications for social change is following apace.
Our next Net Tuesday on June 2 will be about mobile applications for social change. Again, we’ll be meeting at Buffalo Billiards, 118 Chestnut Street. We’ll start gathering at 6:00 PM, and the program itself will begin between 6:30 and 6:45. RSVP on Meetup.
What does mobile technology for social change mean?
Ivan and Seth will discover part of the answer attending the 4th annual NetSquared Conference (N2Y4) in San Jose May 25–26, which is featuring a number of mobile projects, competing for $50,000 in prize money to further their development. (This page provides ways to follow along with the conference.) Ivan and Seth will report back on what we thought were the most interesting projects.
And, we also want to hear your thoughts and experiences (and hopes) about using mobile technology for social change. If you know of any local projects in this arena, please let us know. If you think it’s interesting, please come and share your perspectives.
The featured projects at N2Y4 include:
So come, bring your mobile device, and discover and talk about how these little machines are starting to play their part in improving the world.
Filed under: Net Tuesday | Tagged: case studies, mobile tech, Net Tuesday, nptech, phlnet2 | Leave a comment »
Posted on June 6, 2008 by sethhorwitz
Our second meeting on June 3 had about 23 people attending, with a good deal of energy and enthusiasm. We had two presentations. The slide shows for them are below. Videos of the presentations will be posted shortly.
The first presentation was by Larry Miller, on Extensible Meeting and Process Management.
The second presentation was by Seth Horwitz and Ivan Boothe, recapping some of the mashups they saw and were most impressed with at the 3rd Annual NetSquared Conference (N2Y3).
Filed under: Net Tuesday Presentations | Tagged: casestudy, management, mapping, n2y3, n2y3con, nptech, phlnet2, video | 2 Comments »
Posted on June 2, 2008 by ivan
Plans are coming together for a great meeting this Tuesday, June 3 at 6:30 PM, at Independents Hall, 32 Strawberry Street in Old City. RSVP now for the June Net Tuesday!
Highlights from this month’s Net Tuesday will include:
- A report (with demonstrations) from Seth and Ivan about some of the really cool stuff they saw at the annual NetSquared conference in San Jose. A key feature of the conference was a showcase and competition among 21 finalists of the NetSquared Mashup Challenge. Innovative ideas and applications, combined with deep, authentic commitment to social change, produced some really interesting sites in various early stages of development. We will showcase a few of these, including the winners of the Mashup Challenge, and highlight principles and practices we believe will be useful and interesting to Net Tuesday folks.
- A short presentation by Larry Miller of the I Do Foundation about their use of extensible meeting and process management.
- A live update from the Philly WiFi forum happening simultaneously up at Temple University. NOTE: This meeting has been postponed to June 18, so there won’t be an update at the Net Tuesday meeting.
Plus, plenty of time for schmoozing, networking and getting to know one another.
The June Meeting is sponsored by WomenMatter.com — Engaging Women in the Political Process
Good ideas, good people. Hope to see you there! RSVP now.
Update: Presentations from this Net Tuesday are available online.
Filed under: Net Tuesday | Tagged: casestudy, management, mapping, net2, nptech, phlnet2, video | Leave a comment »
Posted on May 29, 2008 by ivan
The NetSquared Mashup Challenge has just concluded. The three winners, chosen by conference attendees, emphasize all three areas of the NetSquared community: social technology, nonprofit tools and social change.
Additionally, there were two winners announced for the Case Foundation DonateNow Mashup Challenge:
- Social Actions — Find Social Actions. Create Social Change. (Also a NetSquared winner.)
- Tweet4Good — Donate a fundraise using Twitter
You can check out videos from the conference from Beth Kanter, and the NetSquared blog will no doubt have writeups in the coming hours and days.
Stay tuned for next Tuesday’s Meetup, where Seth and Ivan will present highlights from the conference and useful tools that other nonprofits can use!
Filed under: NetSquared | Tagged: net2, nptech | 2 Comments »
Posted on May 28, 2008 by ivan
Some really incredible presentations here at the NetSquared conference, both from featured projects and individual speakers. Seth and I are busily collecting information for next Tuesday’s event.
Filed under: NetSquared | Tagged: n2y3, net2, nptech | 2 Comments »
Posted on May 27, 2008 by ivan
The NetSquared Year Three conference has gotten off to a great start — nonprofit staffers, activists, techies and funders gathering to talk about — and award some money to — using technology for social change.
There have been a couple of blog entries focusing on two of the featured projects (full disclosure: I was involved in work on the second of these), KnowMore.org and the Genocide Intervention Network. Continue reading
Filed under: NetSquared | Tagged: n2y3, net2, nptech | Leave a comment »